Dear Jane

This is my version of the blocks from the "Dear Jane" quilt book by Brenda Papadakis of Jane A. Stickle's quilt.Please follow me on my daily path of completion of this quilt. I will show my completed blocks, and tell you how I made them. There are many ways to go about making these blocks and you have to decide what works for you. I am an avid quilter, sometimes quilt teacher who has been quilting for 15 yrs. Hand applique' and small blocks are my biggest passion.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

A-2 One-Two Buckle my Shoe


Another day, another block, this could really be fun. As you can see I am using Civil War
fabrics with shirtings. I don't plan on repeating the focus fabrics but don't think I could
ever accumulate 225 different shirtings, so....the shirtings will be repeated. I hope this
fabric scheme will work out. I paper pieced this entire block row by row and then sewed the
rows to one another. A hint that helps for me is to use my all purpose sewing machine foot for all the paper piecing tightening up the stitch length. I like to use foundation paper, Carol Doak's brand is what I have on hand but other ones work well too. Then I pop on my quarter inch foot to sew the rows together, pinning at all the little seams. It works perfectly. I also
like to use Carol Doak's paper piecing method using the add-an-eighth ruler. These pieces are
tiny and you need to keep the bulkiness of the seams as small as possible. Keep the seams
that attach row to row at 1/4".I like to press those seams open so my block lays flat. A spritz of Best Press before trimming to size also helps. Have fun with this block, it really isn't difficult.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looking forward to learning along with you and doing this quilt which scares me.Your blog looks great.