Dear Jane

This is my version of the blocks from the "Dear Jane" quilt book by Brenda Papadakis of Jane A. Stickle's quilt.Please follow me on my daily path of completion of this quilt. I will show my completed blocks, and tell you how I made them. There are many ways to go about making these blocks and you have to decide what works for you. I am an avid quilter, sometimes quilt teacher who has been quilting for 15 yrs. Hand applique' and small blocks are my biggest passion.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

A-7 Dad's Plaids


Here is a block to show off or practice your applique skills. I hand appliqued it but it can just as easily be done by machine. I imagine some have even reversed appliqued it. Now, that I look at it, I think I should have reversed the ones with the melons made out of background fabric so the seam allowance wouldn't have shown through. Hmmmm....maybe I will remake this block.I'm not real happy with my fabric choices anyway. I machine pieced the background making it into a 5.5-6" block and using a 4.5" ruler traced around it so I'd be sure not to extend my melon shapes into the seam allowance. I don't want to cut those melon tips off when I sew the blocks together. Trim the block, using your DJ ruler after finishing it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Deb
That a great point about reverse appliqueing the background melons.Wouldn't have thought of that.